We have saved the Railway Arms Pub and it is now open 7 days a week.
For more info please go to www.railwayarms.co.uk.
We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Notification of Annual Member’s Meeting
The Annual Member’s Meeting will be held for shareholders of Saffron Walden Community Pub Ltd at the Parrish Rooms, Saffron Walden
Saturday 11th November 2023 at 4.30pm
1. Apologies for Absence
2. Notification of AoB – members are requested to declare any items for later discussion under AoB
3. Notification of Business Interests/Self Declaration – To declare any potential conflicts of interest on any matters to be discussed
4. Previous Minutes – To receive and approve the minutes of the adjourned Annual Member’s Meeting held on Saturday 26th January 2023 as an accurate and true record of the meeting
5. Annual Report and Financial Statements – To receive the Annual Report and Financial Statements for the year ended 30th June 2023
6. Election of the Members of the Management Committee – In accordance with the Society’s Rules, the following members of the Management Committee are required to stand down.
Anybody interested in being nominated for election onto the Management Committee should contact the Secretary at email@example.com no later than Saturday 4th November. No nominations will be accepted at the meeting. All current members (above) wish to re-stand.
7. Any Other Business
8. Date/Time Future Meetings
Members will also be able to attend virtually via Zoom
We sincerely hope that you can attend – the meeting is not expected to last more than 40 mins
Complimentary drinks will be served at the pub afterwards
Chairman’s Update: We did it!
At 3pm on Monday 12th October 2020, the Railway Arms passed into the hands of the community. It became Saffron Walden’s first community-owned pub. We did it! After all these years, we did it.
Formerly the Railway Hotel, The Railway Arms in Saffron Walden has stood in the shadow of the old, now closed, Great Eastern branch line since 1865 and is a pub close to the hearts of many in the local area. Situated on the edge of the town centre on the corner of Station Road and Station Street, the pub was renowned for serving some of the best cask conditioned ales and good pub grub to the regulars of the local area.
Featuring in CAMRA’s Good Beer Guide for many years, the pub was the centre of the community from near and far and is still fondly remembered worldwide by old students of the nearby language school who were regulars back in the day. Indeed the former landlord of the pub from 1958 to 1998 – Jim Jordan – was awarded the OBE for his tenure at the pub and is remembered by being named on the nearby ‘Jordan Close’ just along from the building.
After being purchased by Charles Wells around 2014, the new owners closed the doors to the pub on New Year’s Day 2017.
Since then our campaign to save this much-loved community hub has sought to re-open the building as a Community-run pub.
The building was granted Asset of Community Value (ACV) status by Uttlesford District Council in 2018 and through the formation of Saffron Walden Community Pub Ltd (SWCP).
Thankfully, in October 2020 we were able to complete the purchase of the Railway and it became Saffron Walden’s first community-owned pub!